Our practice is located on the beautiful, lush, and culturally rich island of Maui, Hawaii. If you are visiting and wanting to learn more about the intricate and deluxe plant life, or kamaʻāina ready to enrich your knowledge of history, cultural practices, and landscapes, we recommend Medicine at Your Feet, written by our acupuncturist and herbalist, David Bruce Leonard. We also highly recommend our friend and teacher, Ke’oni Hanalei’s podcast, Pohala, which educates and shares about the history and benefits of Hawaiian Fern Medicine. If it is Hawaiian spirituality you seek, check out The Bowl of Light: Ancestral Wisdom from a Hawaiian Shaman by Dr. Hank Wessleman.
Books & Articles
● All About Hawaiian Albert J. Schütz● Botany in a Day: The Patterns Method of Plant Identification Thomas J. Elpel● The Bowl of Light: Ancestral Wisdom from a Hawaiian Shaman Hank Wesselman, PhD● Hawaiian Antiquities David Malo● Hawai’i Island Legends: Pele Pīkoi and Others Mary Kawena Pukui and Caroline Curtis● The Hawaiian Oracle: Animal Spirit Guides from the Land of Light Rima A. Morrell, PhD (Cards)● Mastering Your Hidden Self: A Guide to the Huna Way Serge King● Medicine at Your Feet: Healing Plants of the Hawaiian Kingdom (Volume 1) David Bruce Leonard, L.Ac (book can be purchased at our office as well)● Nā Mele o Hawai‘i Nei: 101 Hawaiian Songs● Olelo No’Eau: Hawaiian Proverbs and Poetical Sayings Mary Kawena Pukui● On Being Hawaiian John Dominis Holt● Shoal of Time: A History of the Hawaiian Islands Gavan Daws● The Wind Gourd of La’amaomao Moses Kuaea Nakuina
TedTalks & Podcasts
● The PŌHALA Podcast Ke’oni Hanalei
Movies & Shows
Our personal development page has a little something for everyone and features titles on Anxiety, ADHD, PTSD, Self Defense, and living authentically. Whether you are taking the first step to self improvement and reflection or are on a journey of expanding your horizons there may be a book, podcast, or movie here that speaks to you. If you aren’t sure where to start, we recommend the Untethered Soul, No Mud No Lotus, and/or Full Catastrophe Living which all have been bestsellers and sold more than a million copies. When it comes to personal development, the journey is an endless discovery. We welcome you to start exploring with some of our team’s favorites.
Books & Articles
● The 10 Best Anxiety Busters: Simple Strategies to Take Control of Your Worry Margaret Wehrenberg Psy.D.● A Time to Grieve: Meditations for Healing After the Death of a Loved One Carol Straudacher● Addicted to the Monkey Mind: Change the Programming That Sabotages Your Life J.F. Benoist● All Birds Have Anxiety Kathy Hoopmann● All Cats Are On The Autism Spectrum Kathy Hoopmann● All Dogs Have ADHD Kathy Hoopmann● Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst Robert M. Sapolsky● Body Sense: The Science and Practice of Embodied Self-Awareness (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology) Alan Fogel● Broken Open: How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow Elizabeth Lesser● Calming the Rush of Panic: A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Guide to Freeing Yourself from Panic Attacks and Living a Vital Life Bob Stahl, PhD● Change Your Brain, Change Your Life Dr. Daniel G. Amen● Complex PTSD Workbook: A Mind-Body Approach To Regaining Emotional Control And Becoming Whole Arielle Schwartz, PhD● Defend Yourself!: Every Woman’s Guide to Safeguarding Her Life Matt Thomas, Denise Loveday, & Larry Strauss● Dying to Be Me: My Journey from Cancer, to Near Death, to True Healing Anita Moorjani● Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD● Getting Past No: Negotiating in Difficult Situations William Ury● The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You’re Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are Brené Brown, PhD● Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day Leanne Brown● Healing from Hidden Abuse: A Journey Through the Stages of Recovery from Psychological Abuse Shannon Thomas● I Can’t Get Over It: A Handbook for Trauma Survivors Aphrodite T. Matsakis PhD● Lifeskills for Adult Children Janet G. Woititz● Meditations and Inspirations Virginia Satir● Mindsight: Transform Your Brain with the New Science of Empathy Daniel J. Siegel● No Mud, No Lotus: The Art of Transforming Suffering Thich Nhat Hanh● Playing with Anxiety: Casey’s Guide for Teens and Kids Reid Wilson and Lynn Lyons● Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness Dr. Rick Hanson and Forrest Hanson● Strong on Defense Sanford Strong● The Bisexual’s Guide to the Universe: Quips, Tips, and Lists for Those Who Go Both Ways Nicole Kristal and Mike Szymanski● The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma Bessel van der Kolk, MD● The Gift of Fear Gavin de Becker● The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep and Sex Drive; Lose Weight; Feel Focused, Vital, and Energized Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol Dr. Sara Gottfried● Melody Beattie: The Language of Letting Go Melody Beattie● The Mindful Path to Addiction Recovery: A Practical Guide to Regaining Control over Your Life Lawrence Peltz, MD● The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness Mark Williams, John Teasdale, Zindel Segal, & Jon Kabat-Zinn● The Velvet Rage: Overcoming the Pain of Growing Up Gay in a Straight Man’s World, Second Edition Alan Downs, PhD● There is No Good Card for This: What To Say and Do When Life Is Scary, Awful, and Unfair to People You Love Dr. Kelsey Crowe and Emily McDowell● The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself Michael A. Singer
TedTalks & Podcasts
● Back from Broken Vic Vela● Being Well Dr. Rick Hanson● Body of Wonder Dr. Andrew Weil and Dr. Victoria Maizes● Everything You Think You Know About Addiction Is Wrong Johann Hari● Hardwiring Happiness Dr. Rick Hanson● Heart-Mind 2018 Dr. Rick Hanson● The Hilarious World of Depression John Moe● Joyful Courage Casey O’Roarty● On Being Krista Tippett● Racial Justice Van Jones● Sex, Shame, & Manifestation Angela Thurston● The Happiness Lab Dr. Laurie Santos● The Power of Vulnerability Brené Brown● Unlocking Us Brené Brown● We Don’t “Move On” From Grief. We Move Forward With It Nora Mclearny● What is Bipolar Disorder? Helen M. Farrell● What is Depression? Helen M. Farrell● Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment Tanner Marshall● What Is The Purpose Of Mental Illness? Eckhart Tolle● Wim Hof Breathing Tutorial Wim Hof
Movies & Shows
● Melancholia Lars von Trier